totchipanda: (Default)
[personal profile] totchipanda
Wow, I really thought I'd posted towards the end of the week last week, but I clearly did not. ah well.

Payday came around and I was very free with my spending. Choices were made. I bought quilting materials and a couple "itty bits" (bolt ends), for a total of $250 and some. Broken up over 2 days because while I stopped on Friday after work for those, my lower intestines were threatening to explode so I cut my visit short. On Saturday, I had some auction purchases to pick up and they are only open 10-2 so I made a circuit. Stop one: the fabric thrift store (listened to a guy judge someone's choice to use bedsheets for sewing BACK OFF BUDDY; he prefaced it with "im a purist" but still), nothing that interested me. Stop two: the gas station near work wot has free air for tires. My right front was curbed in the summer and I think the seal is loose as it slowly goes flat over several weeks. Stop three: fabric store again where I Made Choices and walked away with the bulk of the fabrics. Stop four: auction house which was a PAIN IN THE ASS to get to because it is right at the end of an overpass and the city has shut down one entire side of said overpass to repave it despite it being open for all of a year. UGH. Got a lovely view of the storm front moving in while I waited at the top of the overpass the second time.

Stop five: pet store for litter and fancier food. Stop six, grocery store. By this time it was after 1pm and I was hungry/tired, so my shop was a little disorganized oops. While I waited to check out, the lights flickered briefly. I walked out of the store to find that the storm had arrived and it was FUCKEN WIMDY. Like gusts of 100kph/60mph fucken wimdy. Very happy to get my ass home, several trips from car to door, and the wind closed the car door for me.

Later, I saw that a tree had fallen into some power lines not far at all from the grocery store. The photo showed the top of the tree in the lines, and the rest of the tree on the ground, no longer attached. Yikes.

A few hours later, a training exercise at the nearby military base went very wrong and four people died with many, many others injured. The winds from the storm pushed the fire far beyond the boundaries. The cause is not published yet. Awful, just awful :(

Yesterday I spent a few hours cutting the fabrics for the quilt, finishing up mid-afternoon, when I took a nap. Dinner was made, cottage pie, and it was DELICIOUS. Then I got out the shiny 1950s Brother, which I had set aside because I wasn't sure the new belt was catching properly, but it was fine. Some drama with the presser foot pressure, it was pulling a thicker sample alright but two layers of cotton was a no-go. Me: it likes the thicker fabric but.... ......wait, this one has adjustable pressure. Fixed that and its great. Man, it sews SO beautifully. I got most of the panel done when I said I was either going to finish it (as it was 930 already) or run out of bobbin thread. I ran out of bobbin thread. I tried to wind a new one, but the rubber tire is very soft and rough feeling, so not getting good contact. I should be ok to wind it on the Janome, but since was 10 by then, that is a tomorrow problem (a today problem, now). I can see if putting it in time out has fixed the tension disc issue lol.

On Friday, I decided to go ahead with messaging a tattoo artist whose work was advertised to me. They will be in town at the end of November, they have a very cute style and focus on pet tattoos. I've been wanting to get one for Guido since before he passed away. We chatted a bit through the evening and I have put down the deposit on a tattoo. It will be my first and it's so special to me and AAAHHHHHHH. I definitely should not have purchased almost $200 of fabric the next day lol.

Date: 2026-10-19 06:44 pm (UTC)
danabren: DC17 (Default)
From: [personal profile] danabren
Purist my left testicle. He's a judgemental prick and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Someone who sews on the regular would be delighted to find sheets in the proper fiber for a thrift store price!

Busy busy day, wowie, a lot of stops and a lot of bags and a lot of storm.

Best of luck on your first ink!

Date: 2026-10-21 06:31 pm (UTC)
danabren: Archipelago 2019 (Rockabilly/Sass/Fabulous)
From: [personal profile] danabren
Of course, when one hears that, one can always check for bonuses and then walk up to the person being lectured and say "hi, don't listen to that pompous toerag soaked in gas station hotdog water, sheets often make fantastic dresses because they reduce the skirt seam requirement. I am sure you'll make something fabulous!"

Profile

totchipanda: (Default)
totchipanda

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
4 567 8910
1112 1314151617
18 19202122 2324
25 262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 29th, 2026 08:12 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios