Weekly Ketchup
Oct. 5th, 2026 11:05 amI have finished the shirt except for buttons and buttonholes. I oopsied a cuff and didn't turn the bound edge inside the cuff, but didn't realize it until I had trimmed the seam and stitched the cuff down. I don't care enough to pick all that apart. The second one was done correctly.
Wednesday I was at a friend's house for a couple hours, cutting out patterns. I was kinda willy-nilly about it though, using one I needed to modify but hadn't yet. Taped a pattern together, and then started cutting it out, forgetting that I needed to line it as well as add to the waist and maybe I don't want the dart where it is? Oops. Still, it was a nice evening.
I have been bitten by the quilting big at last. Friday I very nearly made an irresponsible decision and purchase quilting supplies, but luckily did my budget first. It's fine, I said, I have the kit that's been started. Let's do that first. By the time I felt up to it in the evening, it was past 9pm and I needed to iron the strips again as they've been wadded up in a bag for literally a decade. So I sorted buttons instead to find enough matching ones for my shirt.
Saturday morning I was RARING TO GO, so I finished one half of the pattern before I went to pick up M for the corn maze. After I got home, I finished the rest. It's a small quilt meant as a wall hanging, 40"x40" or so. My mum had made the tubes and I had cut them into strips (two very poorly with marked lines and scissors). Honestly it was fine. I know I'd get into it one day because it's very mindless meditative sewing. It did scratch that itch, so that's good.
Sunday I didn't do much. In the afternoon I was meeting the friend whose house I was at because I'd left my water bottle! She was going to be nearby, at the fabric reuse store, and oh, well, I suppose I can finally visit it again lol. I picked up the batting and some fabric for my quilt backing, plus a dozen bobbins for Beatrice, buttons for my crab ensemble, a belt buckle for a dress I made in the spring, and some elastics. When I got home, I made soup and did dishes, and then laid out the quilt supplies. Calcifer helped. She helped so much that I walked away and she took a nap, right there on the table on top of the quilt lol. I eventually kicked her off. I have it pinned and ready to be sewn to the best of my abilities, but it was late enough in the evening that I didn't want to start something I would focus on for a long time.
Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of my officially official journey with sticker journalling. This morning I walked out of the house, thought about how I would find a box there this week sometime, how it's been about a year, and how I haven't started my October pages yet. I am having some capital-F Feelings about that. I started writing about it in the newest planner, partly because this is the type of thing these planners are for, the things I wanted to explore with them. One YouTuber I follow posted their "quarter 4" plans and that also has me thinking about things related with all this. I might write about them more digitally but I want to do it primarily with pen and paper.
Gamers of Sewing Land, have you heard of Dressmaker? The game where you run a dress shop and ladies come in to have their dresses made? And you design a dress and pick out fabrics and cut and sew it? My friend gifted me a copy and I installed it last week, and have now made a few dresses in it. I find actual sewing easier, but it IS kind of a fun game. All of the design and plethora of fabrics and none of the mess. I'm glad the new laptop can handle it!
Wednesday I was at a friend's house for a couple hours, cutting out patterns. I was kinda willy-nilly about it though, using one I needed to modify but hadn't yet. Taped a pattern together, and then started cutting it out, forgetting that I needed to line it as well as add to the waist and maybe I don't want the dart where it is? Oops. Still, it was a nice evening.
I have been bitten by the quilting big at last. Friday I very nearly made an irresponsible decision and purchase quilting supplies, but luckily did my budget first. It's fine, I said, I have the kit that's been started. Let's do that first. By the time I felt up to it in the evening, it was past 9pm and I needed to iron the strips again as they've been wadded up in a bag for literally a decade. So I sorted buttons instead to find enough matching ones for my shirt.
Saturday morning I was RARING TO GO, so I finished one half of the pattern before I went to pick up M for the corn maze. After I got home, I finished the rest. It's a small quilt meant as a wall hanging, 40"x40" or so. My mum had made the tubes and I had cut them into strips (two very poorly with marked lines and scissors). Honestly it was fine. I know I'd get into it one day because it's very mindless meditative sewing. It did scratch that itch, so that's good.
Sunday I didn't do much. In the afternoon I was meeting the friend whose house I was at because I'd left my water bottle! She was going to be nearby, at the fabric reuse store, and oh, well, I suppose I can finally visit it again lol. I picked up the batting and some fabric for my quilt backing, plus a dozen bobbins for Beatrice, buttons for my crab ensemble, a belt buckle for a dress I made in the spring, and some elastics. When I got home, I made soup and did dishes, and then laid out the quilt supplies. Calcifer helped. She helped so much that I walked away and she took a nap, right there on the table on top of the quilt lol. I eventually kicked her off. I have it pinned and ready to be sewn to the best of my abilities, but it was late enough in the evening that I didn't want to start something I would focus on for a long time.
Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of my officially official journey with sticker journalling. This morning I walked out of the house, thought about how I would find a box there this week sometime, how it's been about a year, and how I haven't started my October pages yet. I am having some capital-F Feelings about that. I started writing about it in the newest planner, partly because this is the type of thing these planners are for, the things I wanted to explore with them. One YouTuber I follow posted their "quarter 4" plans and that also has me thinking about things related with all this. I might write about them more digitally but I want to do it primarily with pen and paper.
Gamers of Sewing Land, have you heard of Dressmaker? The game where you run a dress shop and ladies come in to have their dresses made? And you design a dress and pick out fabrics and cut and sew it? My friend gifted me a copy and I installed it last week, and have now made a few dresses in it. I find actual sewing easier, but it IS kind of a fun game. All of the design and plethora of fabrics and none of the mess. I'm glad the new laptop can handle it!
no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 05:42 pm (UTC)I have heard of Dressmaker but am not willing to start another new game at this time.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-08 04:14 pm (UTC)Fair! It's very much in the "cozy" category but easy to get sucked into.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 06:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-08 04:12 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 07:11 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 09:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-08 04:13 pm (UTC)